If you or your husband speak the love language of physical touch, then check out these physical touch ideas for some awesome new ways to make your bond stronger.
If your love language is physical touch, then you’ll know that the best way for you to feel loved is to physically connect with your husband. That feeling of closeness makes you feel safe and secure.
Yet if physical touch isn’t the love language you speak, you may misinterpret it when your husband wants to get close to you, thinking that sex is the end game. Annoyance can result, which is potentially damaging for your relationship.
But physical touch goes beyond sex. Gary Chapman, who wrote The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts, notes that “When you reach out with tender touch, you create emotional closeness.” Emotional closeness is something we all need in our marriages.
Note that I’ve attached affiliate links here for your convenience. This means if you click on a link and purchase an item, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
PHYSICAL TOUCH CHALLENGE
So for those of you who may be struggling with physical touch, here’s a challenge. There are three sections below that deal with incidental touching, at home physical touch and physical touch date ideas. Set yourself a goal of trying one incidental physical touch a day, one at home physical touch a week and one physical touch date a month.
(If you’re not sure what your love language is, see here for links to this quiz and two others that I believe are super important to knowing yourself).
INCIDENTAL PHYSICAL TOUCH
This category refers to those physical touches we can sneak in on the back of something else.
- Kiss him goodbye
- Kiss him hello
- Give him a hug from behind when he’s working in the kitchen
- Touch him gently as you walk past
- Go for a walk and hold hands as you do so
- Get in the shower together and wash his back for him
- Wake up a few minutes early, scooch over, and lie with your head on his chest
- Sit next to each other on the couch and hold hands or touch in some way
- Have him lie with his head in your lap and give him a head massage as you’re watching television
- Scratch his back gently
AT HOME PHYSICAL TOUCH GOODNESS
This category refers to those physical touches which require a little more effort but can still be done at home.
- The super obvious one here is to get busy between the sheets. If you’re struggling for how to spice things up in this department, I recommend the Dating Diva’s Ultimate Intimacy Pack. With 139 pages of awesome ideas, you’ll be spoilt for choice. For example, there’s unique bedroom games for each month of the year. In February, your man can pick from a menu of services – main dish – you! In July, there’s a whole host of sexy conversation starters.
Or how about try the 7 days of sex challenge? This challenge is a great way of jump-starting your sex life, with a host of fun daily challenges. However, it also goes deeper and helps you work through some common intimacy issues such as stress or poor communication.
- If it’s a nice night, grab a blanket and go lie under the stars
- Jump in the bath together for a long, relaxing soak
- Give him a foot massage
- Wash his hair
PHYSICAL TOUCH DATES
This category refers to dates which have a specific physical touch focus. Now a caveat- Some of them don’t involve you giving the physical touch. However I have included them as I know many physical touch people love these specific activities.
- Get a professional couple massage. Choose a place which has two therapists so you can be done in the same room
- Get a body scrub. This is an alternative to a massage if you’re feeling a bit sluggish or just in the mood for something different. Again, this works best if you are both in the same room
- Go out for dinner but sit side by side, preferably in a booth
- Go ten pin bowling and take every chance you can to high-five. Add to the excitement by inviting couple friends so you and your husband can be on the same team
- Go to an upmarket movie theatre with couches instead of seats so you can snuggle up close
- Attend an outdoor concert or theatre performance and get cosy on a blanket
- Sign up for a pottery wheel throwing class and attempt to re-enact the scene from Ghost
- Go to a theme park and grip onto him for dear life as you ride the roller coaster
- Sign up for ballroom dancing lessons
- Create an old fashioned games day and invite your friends to meet you down at the park. As well as those old faves like the sack race and egg and spoon race, you can get close to your honey in the three legged race, and wheelbarrow race
Physical touch is an important aspect of any relationship. Even if it’s not your primary love language, both you and your husband can benefit from working to increasing the level of touch in your marriage. Set yourself small goals – an increased incidental physical touch once a day, a focused at-home physical touch session once a week and a more intense physical touch date once a month, and watch your relationship satisfaction increase!
Want to get closer to your husband?