These 100 deep questions to ask your partner will reveal some of their fundamental values and beliefs and make for a meaningful and interesting conversation!
Questions are a great way to initially get to know someone, and over time they’re the perfect tool to use in order to explore who they are and what they stand for.
After all, you do need to share some key values with someone if you’re going to have a good life together, right?
Questions are my favorite addition to date night or to a conversation when you’re long distance.
You might also like: Long distance relationship questions.
They take away that pressure you can sometimes feel when you can’t think of anything to discuss that goes beyond your daily life (the kids, your work, – even your finances).
They also develop an attitude of curiosity towards your partner which is a key element in not taking them for granted.
These 100 deep questions to ask your partner are just that: deep.
Given their content, it’s important to not race through all 100 of them like you’re conducting a rapid fire interview or an inquisition.
Instead, I suggest just asking one to three questions at a time – sometimes they are grouped into similar topics so that makes it easy.
And remember, they’re guaranteed to get you thinking and chances are they could end up in some super heated discussions.
Listen to what your partner has to say and explore their thinking with them.
In addition, it’s not a competition to convert your loved one to your point of view should your responses differ!
You might also like: Questions for couples.
Deep questions for couples
- Do you believe in euthanasia?
- Would you perform euthanasia on someone else if they begged you?
- If cryogenics worked, would you do it?
- If you could take a pill and be immortal, would you take it?
- Do you believe in God?
- Do you believe in reincarnation?
- What do you think happens when you die?
- Do you think animals have souls?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Do dreams have meaning?
- Under what circumstances do you think you could kill someone?
- Do you believe in the death penalty?
- Under what circumstances (if any) should someone be given the death penalty?
- When (if ever) is it okay to break the law?
- When (if ever) is it okay to lie?
- Would you ever lie in court? If so, under what circumstance?
- What is the worst form of abuse and why?
- Can someone who has committed a terrible crime still be a good person?
- Is redemption really possible?
- Do you believe we need to feel pain?
- What actions do you believe are unforgivable?
- Who is worse: an alcoholic or a gambler?
- Is addiction a disease?
- Are homeless people responsible for their situation?
- Are humans inherently good or inherently evil?
- What’s more important – nature or nurture?
- Do you think it’s possible for people to fundamentally change who they are?
- Up to what point (if at all) should a woman be able to end a pregnancy?
- Should a man have rights in deciding whether to end a pregnancy?
- What would you do with 10 million dollars?
- Is money the root of all evil?
- Should prospective parents be required to get a license?
- Should there be a limit on how many children people can have?
- How are men and women different?
- Can men and women ever really be “just friends”?
- Do you think most people are happy with their lives?
- If you could change one thing about the world we live in, what would it be?
- What do you think the world will be like in 50 years?
- What do you think is the worse event to happen in human history?
- What do you think about the saying, “absolute power corrupts absolutely”?
- Do you believe in fate?
- Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
- Do you believe in the concept of soulmates?
- Do you think couples love each other equally or does one person always love the other more in a relationship?
- What is stronger- love or hate?
- If you could pick any person in the world, living or dead, to mentor you, who would it be?
- What five values do you believe the world should follow?
- Who has a more realistic world view: optimists or pessimists?
- Is divorce too easy?
- What was the best century in human existence?
- Should you speak up about a crime if doing so puts you or your family at risk?
- Is religion a good thing? Why / why not?
- What are your relationship non-negotiables?
- What do you think is the meaning of life?
- Is school success needed for life success?
- Is it possible to see the good in every experience?
- Is having children essential for life happiness?
- What do you think is humanity’s worst trait?
- What’s the best way for people to spend their free time?
- Should at least one parent stay at home with a child? If so, until what age?
- Should you live like there’s no tomorrow or live for the future?
- Is blood really thicker than water?
- Do you think people are either givers or takers?
- Why do people take things for granted?
- Is pleasure a necessary ingredient in life?
- Do you think there are any universal morals?
- Should you be able to select the gender of your child?
- What world event would you rather die in than survive (think famine, nuclear war, disease etc)?
- How self aware do you think most people are?
- Why do people stay in bad relationships?
- Is social media a good thing?
- Should medical care be free?
- Should you forgive and / or forget?
- Are psychics frauds?
- Is maternal instinct innate?
- Should people have the right to be anonymous in any and all contexts?
- What country is the best in the world and why?
- What do you believe causes depression?
- Why do we tend to correlate attractiveness with morality?
- Does love at first sight exist?
- Can you have passion and stability in one relationship?
- Is there such a thing as unconditional love?
- Who has more value – a child or an elderly person?
- Is there such a thing as objective reality?
- Is there anything positive about envy?
- Must there always be haves and have nots in society?
- Is it easier to love or be loved?
- What practices that we do now do you think people will think are super crazy (think phrenology, witch trials) in the future?
- Is friendship necessary?
- Is it better to be frugal or a spendthrift?
- If you could predict criminals in advance, what would you do with them?
- Do opposites attract?
- Is physical intimacy important to a relationship?
- What defines a “wasted” life?
- What are the five best qualities of humans?
- Are laws necessary for society to function well?
- In what cases should there not be freedom of speech?
- What is “evil”?
- What ingredients are fundamental to a good life?
- Should you judge someone by their intentions or their actions?
How did you go asking your partner these deep questions?
Where there any that really surprised you? Any that caused any heated discussion? They can definitely be a good way to get to know someone!
You might also like: Questions to ask before marriage.
I’d love to know which ones you enjoyed the most. Let me know in the comments!
If you feel like you’re not connecting as well as you could be, then why not head over to questions to ask your spouse to reconnect?