After the perfect words to explain how much you value your marriage? Try these happy marriage quotes.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
When you go to pick a card, do you spend more time looking at the image or at the words?
I have to confess that for most of my life, I was all about the images. Then, as my son got older, he started writing these super meaningful words on cards (no guesses here that his love language is words of affirmation) AND picking cards with meaningful messages on them.
Everyone in the family has since felt forced to up their game and I have not been able to look at cards the same.
As my husband and I celebrate not only our wedding anniversary but also our ‘first contact” anniversary – because the reality is that we both knew from this first meeting that we were on to something special – this presents me with a problem.
Not once but twice a year, I must craft something meaningful, something that expresses just how much I love my husband in a way that I haven’t said before – a challenge that grows harder every year.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
And it’s in such a situation that happy marriage quotes really shine.
No need for you to come up with a metaphor for the joy that is your marriage. No need for you to think of what rhymes with “love” that isn’t “dove.” No need for you to wordsmith like… Wordsmith.
Instead you can take words from the best.
So if you’re looking for some positive, happy marriage quotes that you can put in an anniversary card or a love letter, you’ve come to the right place.
With 101 happy marriage quotes, there’s more than enough here for a lifetime of happily ever after.
You might also like: Love messages for her.
Want greater connection in your relationship?
Then you’ll want this freebie.
It’s called The KISS Connection and it’s a FREE 4-step everyday practice that will bring back that loving feeling.
Hit the pink button to grab your free copy today.
Happy marriage quotes
- A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love. – Pearl S. Buck
- A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences. – Dave Meurer
- A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short. – André Maurois
- As we grow old together, as we continue to change with age, there is one thing that will never change…I will always keep falling in love with you. – Karen Clodfelder
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. – Lao Tzu
- Being in a long marriage is a little bit like that nice cup of coffee every morning – I might have it every day, but I still enjoy it. – Stephen Gaine
- Being someone’s first love may be great, but to be their last is beyond perfect. – Anonymous
- Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years. – Simone Signoret
- Come, let’s be a comfortable couple and take care of each other! How glad we shall be, that we have somebody we are fond of always, to talk to and sit with. – Charles Dickens
- Desiring another person is perhaps the most risky endeavor of all. As soon as you want somebody—really want him—it is as though you have taken a surgical needle and sutured your happiness to the skin of that person, so that any separation will now cause a lacerating injury. – Elizabeth Gibert
- Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love. – William Shakespeare
- Excitement and fire are not qualities inherent to relationships. They are what happen when two people make marriage the number one priority. – Michele Weiner-Davis
- Friendship is a deep oneness that develops when two people, speaking the truth in love to one another, journey together to the same horizon. – Timothy Keller
- Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. – Robert Browning
- Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife. – Franz Schubert
- Happy marriages are built on dreaming together.- Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott
- Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry. – Tom Mullen
- I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine. – Song of Solomon 6:3
- I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough. – Nicholas Sparks
- I don’t want the heavens or the shooting stars. I don’t want gemstones or gold. I have those things already. I want… a steady hand. A kind soul. – Shana Abe
- I got gaps; you got gaps; we fill each other’s gaps…Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend so much on certain people; you can set your watch by them. And that’s love, even if it doesn’t seem very exciting. – Sylvester Stallone
- I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. – Elizabeth Browning
- I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. – Roy Croft
- I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where, I love you directly without problems or pride: I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love, except in this form in which I am not nor are you, so close that your hand upon my chest is mine, so close that your eyes close with my dreams. – Pablo Neruda
- If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. – Emily Bronte
- If I get married, I want to be very married. – Audrey Hepburn
- I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone. –J.R. Tolkien
- In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine. – Maya Angelou
- In marriage, when we honor and celebrate each other, we’re freed up to be the best people we can be. –Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott
- Love at first sight is easy to understand; it’s when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle. – Sam Levenson
- Love doesn’t make the world go round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile. – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get–only with what you are expecting to give – which is everything. – Katharine Hepburn
- Love is a friendship set to music. – Joseph Campbell
- Love is a partnership of two unique people who bring out the very best in each other, and who know that even though they are wonderful as individuals, they are even better together. – Barbara Cage
- Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition.” —Alexander Smith
- Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. – Bruce Lee
- Love is not something you feel. It is something you do. – David Wilkerson
- Love isn’t a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now. – Fred Rogers
- Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. – Robert Heinlein
- Marriage flourishes when the couple works together as a team: when both husband and wife decide that winning together is more important than keeping score. Good marriages don’t just happen. They are a product of hard work.. – Michelle Obama
- Marriage has the power to set the course of your life as a whole. If your marriage is strong, even if all the circumstances in your life around you are filled with trouble and weakness, it won’t matter. You will be able to move out into the world in strength. – Timothy Keller
- Marriage: If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You never abuse it. You don’t expose it to the elements. You don’t make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by. – F. Burton Howard
- Marriage is a huge investment: of time, of energy and of emotion. Protect and keep contributing to your investment. – Karen Gordon
- Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story. – Jennifer Smith
- Marriage is like watching the color of leaves in the fall; ever changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day. – Fawn Weaver
- Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day. – Barbara De Angelis
- Marriage is the highest state of friendship. If happy, it lessens our cares by dividing them, at the same time that it doubles our pleasures by mutual participation. – Samuel Richardson
- Marriages, like a garden, take time to grow. But the harvest is rich unto those who patiently and tenderly care for the ground. – Darlene Schacht
- Marriage: Love is the reason. Lifelong friendship is the gift. Kindness is the cause. Til’ death do us part is the length. – Fawn Weaver
- Marriage, ultimately, is the practice of becoming passionate friends.- Harville Hendrix
- My husband is my best friend, my greatest support, my biggest comfort, my strongest motivation, my truest smile, my deepest love, my favorite, my forever. He has me. Entirely. – Unknown
- Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. – Unknown
- Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering. – Nicole Krauss
- Once we figured out that we could not change each other, we became free to celebrate ourselves as we are. – H. Dean Rutherford
- Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about. – Rumi
- People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked. – Paul Newman
- Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset. – Ann Landers
- Take one cup of love, two cups of loyalty, three cups of forgiveness, four quarts of faith and one barrel of laughter. Take love and loyalty and mix them thoroughly with faith; blend with tenderness, kindness and understanding. Add friendship and hope. Sprinkle abundantly with laughter. Bake it with sunshine. Wrap it regularly with lots of hugs. Serve generous helpings daily. – Zig Ziglar
- The best thing about me is you. – Shannon Crown
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. – Audrey Hepburn
- The essence of marriage is companionship, and the woman you face across the coffee urn every morning for ninety-nine years must be both able to appreciate your jokes and to sympathize with your aspirations. – Elbert Hubbard
- The goal in marriage is not to think alike, but to think together. – Robert C. Dodds
- The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership. – Helen Mirren
- The greatest marriages are built on teamwork. A mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace. – Fawn Weaver
- The highest happiness on earth is marriage. – William Lyon Phelps
- The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along. – Rumi
- The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It’s a choice you make- not just on your wedding day, but over and over again – and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife.- Barbara De Angelis
- The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time. – Julia Child
- There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps. – Ronald Reagan
- There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage. – Martin Luther
- There is nothing more admirable than when two people who see eye-to-eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends. – Homer
- They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for. – Tom Bodett
- Think not because you are now wed, that all your courtship’s at an end. – Antonio Hurtado de Mendoza
- This is what marriage really means: helping one another to reach the full status of being persons, responsible beings who do not run away from life. – Paul Tournier
- This is what we call love. When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.- Paulo Coelho
- To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow – this is a human offering that can border on miraculous. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness. – Robert Brault
- To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with. – Mark Twain
- To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides. – David Viscott
- True love is never blind but rather brings an added light – Phoebe Cary
- True love stands by each other’s side on good days and stands closer on bad days. – Unknown
- We need a witness to our lives. There’s a billion people on the planet… I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you’re promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things… all of it, all of the time, every day. You’re saying, ‘Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness.- Susan Saradon
- We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness–and call it love–true love. – Robert Fulghum
- What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. – Leo Tolstoy
- What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life – to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting? – George Eliot
- What is Love? I have met in the streets a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, the water passed through his shoes and the stars through his soul. –Victor Hugo
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. – Emily Bronte
- When a marriage works, nothing on Earth can take its place. – Helen Gahagan Douglas
- When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. – Arrigo Boito
- When there is love in a marriage, there is harmony in the home; when there is harmony in the home, there is contentment in the community; when there is contentment in the community, there is prosperity in the nation; when there is prosperity in the nation, there is peace in the world. – Chinese Proverb
- When you end up happily married, even the failed relationships have worked beautifully to get you there. – Julia Roberts
- When you make the sacrifice in marriage, you’re sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship. – Joseph Campbell
- When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. – Meg Ryan
- When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. – John Lennon
- Where there is love there is life. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Who, being loved, is poor? – Oscar Wilde
- You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known and even that is an understatement. – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear. – Oscar Wilde
- You don’t marry one person; you marry three: the person you think they are, the person they are, and the person they are going to become as a result of being married to you. – Richard Needham
- You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love…I love…I love you. – Jane Austen
If you’re looking for the perfect words for an anniversary card or just because, why struggle inventing them yourself? Instead, check out these 101 happy marriage quotes.
You might also like: Struggling marriage? Quotes to inspire and encourage.