The simple joys of life are what give it meaning and purpose. This list if 75 of my fave simple joys will inspire you to find pleasure in the little things today!
The longer I live, the more I realize that the simple pleasures in life are what gives it the most meaning.
Yes, it feels pretty great to holiday in an exotic location or spend the night at a game nestled in on the best seats of the house.
But let’s face it – for most of us, those events don’t happen very often. And when they do, their effect on our happiness is intense but fleeting. The reality is, if we are searching for what to do for pleasure, we’re better off focusing on the simple joys.
I love the word joy. To me, it has always had more richness, more depth, than happiness.
Joy sits within you and effects how you perceive, interpret and experience the world. It can transform a winter’s day, a rough time at work, or any of those tiny tragedies that cause us stress on a daily basis.
And when you add in the word simple, that’s when the magic happens.
Focusing on the simple joys enables you to live in the moment, to cherish what you have, to enjoy the things that are freely and easily accessible to almost all of us.
The following 75 items make up my own simple joys of life list. They focus on the simple pleasures that come through sight, sound, touch, smell and taste. They make us focus on the moment while channeling the energy of much simpler times.
How many of these simple joys would make your current list? Which ones of them do you think you could try?
CREATE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE WITH THESE SIMPLE JOYS
- Waking up in time to see the sunrise
- Making love
- Getting squeaky clean
- Enjoying a hot drink while looking out the window
- Petting your dog
- Swimming in the dark (naked)
- Listening to the rain on the roof
- Staring at the flames of an open fire
- Swinging on a swing
- Breathing in the scent of your child’s skin
- Tasting the first sip of coffee in the morning
- Eating fresh, ripe, sun-warmed fruit
- Having a warm bath
- Building a bonfire
- Picking flowers
- Holding on to a hug
- Putting on clothes straight from the dryer
- Making a five year goal list
- Listening to your favorite song from when you were a teenager
- Eating breakfast in bed
- Having a hot shower after a run in the rain
- Searching for shells
- Playing cards all night
- Smelling sun-dried sheets
- Dancing through the house
- Walking the dog
- Showering with your husband
- Receiving a head or foot massage
- Smelling your favorite perfume
- Soaking your feet
- Telling your husband you love him
- Getting your face licked by your dog
- Running in the morning before dawn
- Walking barefoot on the sand
- Smelling the roses (literally)
- Kissing till you feel weak
- Staying in bed all day
- Watching the sunset
- Listening to a cat purr
- Sharing your best memories
- Sleeping in clean sheets
- Wrapping yourself in a soft blanket
- Smelling a vanilla scented candle
- Singing in the car
- Making a fort
- Holding hands with a loved one
- Calling your parents
- Practicing meditation
- Decluttering a drawer
- Eating lunch outside
- Gardening on a warm day
- Having your hair washed
- Enjoying the smell from the slow cooker
- Walking through fallen leaves
- Seeing the first blossom on the trees
- Feeling the breeze in your hair
- Making popcorn in a pot
- Listening to your child’s or husband’s breathing as they sleep
- Running on a beautiful fall day
- Reading a book
- Watching a favorite show
- Seeing your dog after a long day at work
- Playing in the sprinkler
- Eating your favorite meal
- Pulling together the couches and making a bed
- Singing in the shower
- Driving long distances
- Having warm towels
- Feeling the rain on your skin
- Listening to the waves crash on the shore
- Laughing until you almost cry
- Making a bucket list
- Having a pet or child sleep on your lap
- Preparing a complex yet delicious meal
- Making your own simple joys of life list!
When we are focused on life’s simple pleasures, meaning comes from appreciating the moment. It comes from engaging all the senses, connecting with our inner child, and being mindful of the world around us.
If you want to increase your happiness then focus on how you too can add some of these simple joys of life into each day, every day.
Want to join my tribe of women who organize, nurture and grow?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.