Feel sad, flat or bored? Check out these 45 lists to make when you need a happiness boost.
No-one feels good all the time. I don’t even think we should aim to feel good all the time.
But sometimes when we feel down, flat, or simply bored, we need something to jolt us out of it – something to make us feel better.
Something to make us feel happy.
Because happiness does more than make us feel good. James Clear suggests that when you experience positive emotions “like joy, contentment, and love, you will see more possibilities in your life.”
And that’s what we often need when we feel down- a sense that there is the possibility of change.
So here is an exercise designed to do just that – to make you feel both positive and full of possibilities!
And it’s an exercise based on one of my favourite things – lists!
But lists of what exactly?
Well, there are three ingredients to happiness (according to Alexander Chalmers at least) – “something to do, someone to love and something to hope for.”
So if you’re in the need of a pick-me-up, then try making some of these lists – categorized into those three groups mentioned above.
“Something to do” LISTS TO MAKE WHEN YOU NEED A HAPPINESS BOOST
- Running events to compete in.
Jump onto your local running calendar and see what events are happening in the next twelve months that inspire and motivate you.
- Travel bucket list.
This bucket list can start with continents, and then go to countries and even to cities
- Paid experiences you’d like to have.
If you’ve ever fancied bungy-jumping or paragliding, now’s the time to write it down.
- Local attractions to investigate.
- TV shows and movies for your must-watch list.
- Books you’d like to read.
- Hobbies you’d like to try.
I’ve wanted to learn to quilt for over twenty years. I’d also love to learn to crochet, to knit better, and to bottle my own fruit. What are those things you’ve always thought of doing but have not got around to yet?
- Sex bucket list.
Places, positions… all the things!
- Health experiences you’d like to try.
I don’t know about you but I’d love to try a flotation tank!
- Meals you’d like to cook.
You could then go and make one of them!
“Someone or something to love” LISTS TO MAKE WHEN YOU NEED A HAPPINESS BOOST
- All the pets you can remember having in your life with something special about each one of them.
- Things you love about your husband.
Include all those little things, such as the way his eyes look when he smiles at you to the way he rubs your feet in the evening.
- Things you love about your children.
Note down things they do and say, and those aspects of their personality you love.
- Things you love about your pets.
- The simple pleasures in your life.
If you’re stuck for ideas, check out these 15 ways to live a life of simple satisfaction.
- Your favorite scents.
Smells are so powerful, to both evoke memory and to please the soul. I have worn Coco by Coco Chanel in the colder seasons for probably close to 15 years. Every year when I start wearing it again, I get lost in the scent. I literally love to breathe the scent of it in. I also love the smell of lilies, daphne, freesias, my husband, fresh laundry …
- Your top 10 television shows, movies and books of all time (series can count as one).
- Your top 10 favorite meals.
- Your 10 most treasured possessions.
- Date night ideas.
If your love language is quality time, then you’ll love these 25 quality time date ideas.
- Affirmations that soothe your soul.
- Your favorite flowers.
- The people you admire the most and why you admire them.
- Everything that makes you happy.
- Your favorite qualities in yourself.
“Something to hope for” LISTS TO MAKE WHEN YOU NEED A HAPPINESS BOOST
- A to-do list for your ideal day.
- Financial goals for this year, the next five years and the rest of your life.
- Family goals.
What is your vision for your family?
- Marriage goals.
What are your hopes and dreams for your marriage?
- Work goals (short term, medium term and long term).
What do you want to achieve at work and in what time frame?
- The accomplishments you’d like to have mentioned at your funeral.
- Plants you’d love to have in your garden or items you’d like to buy for your home.
- Qualities of your ideal self.
- Skills you’d like to learn.
- All the aspects of your dream vacation.
Include getting there, to where you’d stay, to what you’d do.
We all know that list making creates order- but did you know it can create an awful lot of happiness as well? If you’re feeling down then try making any of these 45 lists when you need a happiness boost!
Got any other ideas for lists you’d love? Drop your ideas in the comments!
Had a bad day and want to feel better? Try Quick ways to feel better when you’re feeling down.
Day been super stressful and need some self-care? Try Simple self-care ideas to rescue a stressful day.
Want to join my tribe of women who organize, nurture and grow?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.